Make a difference for taxpayers like Estela today!
Estela came to DC in 1970. She is retired but still works in order to care for her disabled son. She heard about CTA from the newspaper and has been coming ever since. She comes to CTA because we always have someone who speaks Spanish who can help her. Like many of our taxpayers, Estela's entire refund went to pay off bills that were piling up.
Community Tax Aid is a non-profit organization committed to meeting the needs of low income working, retired and disabled neighbors. These individuals depend on your support to make our work possible. This Giving Tuesday we ask you to consider joining our sustaining donors by making a monthly contribution.
Last year we:
* Served taxpayers in person at 12 locations in Arlington, VA; Alexandria, VA; New Carrollton, MD; and in Wards 1, 2, 5, 7 and 8 in Washington DC.
* Prepared federal and/or state tax returns for 3,453 taxpayers. (3,177 current year return and 276 prior-year.).
* Our taxpayers received $8.4 million in net federal and state refunds including $1.5 million in federal Earned Income Credits.
* Half the taxpayers said that they planned to use their refunds to pay past due bills or pay down debt. Sixteen (16) percent planned to save or invest at least part of the refund.
* Helped taxpayers save more than $925,404 in tax preparation fees. This is not only urgently important to the taxpayers who tell us they need their refunds to catch up on bills and for everyday living expenses, but also for the taxpayers whose federal refund would have been too small to pay for professional tax preparation.
- Next milestone